Our mission is to support work that uses innovative and artistic ways to explore contemporary global issues through a cinematic lens.
We support films of any length: shorts, episodic series, and features. We have no funding cycles or deadlines. We work with filmmakers of all experience levels and backgrounds.
- We are interested in films that push the boundaries of nonfiction storytelling.
- We are interested in films that have unique access.
- We are interested in collaborating with journalists and artists.
- We are interested in raw videos or images that expose abuse of power.
- We are interested in non-traditional and innovative modes of exhibition and presentation.
- Most of our films feature either a unique approach to nonfiction storytelling, or unique access.
- Most of our films focus on stories that fit within the news cycle.
- Most of our films are commissioned from the ground up or during production.
- Many of our films are assignments - stories we identify and commission filmmakers to make.
- Most of our films are either cold submissions or have great access.
- We support feature films at any stage: development, production or post-production.
- We are interested in new perspectives and innovative approaches.
- We are interested in bold, creative, and risk-taking projects.
What we don’t do:
- We don’t acquire finished films.
- We don’t commission short films to promote feature films.
- We commission original pieces of writing about nonfiction filmmaking in all its forms.
- We are committed to sharing perspectives on documentary cinema from within and outside of the United States and are open to publishing previously circulated works that have been translated to English.
- We are looking for essays, interviews, correspondences, and other forms of in-depth writing on nonfiction. We don’t publish reviews or criticism.
How to Submit
Please send us information about your project at the following links:
Features & Episodic
Field of Vision is a division of First Look Institute
For general enquiries:
For Field Notes enquiries:
Field of Vision
114 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10011