Field of Vision is partnering with Lawyers for Reporters to launch a free legal clinic for freelancers working in documentary in the United States. This program will provide legal information about specific topics and possible referrals to pro bono legal counsel.
Lawyers for Reporters is a joint project of the Cyrus R. Vance Center for International Justice and First Look Media’s Press Freedom Defense Fund that provides pro bono legal assistance to local journalists and media organizations.
Our volunteer lawyers can provide people working as freelancers in the documentary film community in the U.S. with information about the following subjects:
- Newsgathering rights and potential legal exposure from newsgathering (but we cannot advocate on your behalf regarding Freedom of Information (FOI) requests).
- Legal risks of publishing content, such as defamation, invasion of privacy, and copyright infringement
- Licenses, releases, and other content- and distribution-related contracts, but excluding film financing and other complex agreements
- Risk assessment for filmmaking and security issues
If you are interested in receiving information and a possible referral to pro bono counsel, please fill out the intake form below. After your request is received, a member of our team will let you know whether an information session with our volunteer lawyers can be scheduled.
Intake Form Here.
- This program can only provide information, not legal advice.
- Completing an intake form does not automatically qualify you for an information session.
- Submitting an intake form and discussing a matter with a volunteer lawyer does not create an attorney-client relationship that would protect confidential information from disclosure in a legal proceeding.
- A referral to pro bono counsel is not guaranteed even after a consultation.
Image from The Trial by Johanna Hamilton.